Pizza is one of those few recipes that an introduction fails to describe. One can possibly argue that it is the world’s favorite food. And what’s not to love about a warm soft dough, topped with perfectly cooked ripe tomatoes, and generous melting cheese? Below is the simplest, fastest, easiest pizza recipe that never falls short.
Classic Tomato Sauce
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt, quantity varies with personal preference
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 pepper
- 1/2 cup olives
- Add all dry ingredients to a big bowl. Pour in liquid ingredients as you start mixing to form a dough. Mix together to combine.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and stretch and knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Cover lightly in a bit of oil and place in a greased bowl. Keep in a warm place until its size doubles, around 15 minutes.
Classic Tomato Sauce
- Peel tomatoes and using a food processor, finely chop it into a smooth blend.
- On a hot stove, add the oil and the onions. Cook until transparent and add the tomato blend.
- Cook until thick. Add tomato paste, salt and oregano. Put aside to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to highest temperature.
- Divide dough into 2 portions and roll each portion between your palms like a ball shape.
- On a floured working surface, knead each ball flat using a rolling pin until even and about a half cm thick.
- Divide the dough using a cookie cutter into the desired size, or keep as a pig circle.
- Slide your dough on lined baking sheet and let them rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Top your dough with tomato sauce, olives, peppers and cheese.
- Bake on high heat for about 8-10 mins, then slightly lower the heat for a couple of minutes or until the dough is crispy and brown form the bottom. Serve immediately.
You can have the pizza as thin or thick as you wish. I personally love thick pizza while my daughters prefer thinner ones.
The recipe above is the basic pizza. Experiment with it! Add grilled eggplant and zucchini for a vegetarian pizza. Or pepperoni for meat lovers. Choose between fresh mozzarella, regular mozzarella, cheddar, emmental and others! Make it your own! And most importantly, have fun and experiment in the kitchen!