This light, yummy, moist date cake is the heathy alternative to your typical chocolate cake. Sweetened by the dates, it is a dessert (or breakfast) that is guilt-free and absolutely satisfying. A drizzle of chocolate, and a crunch of walnuts makes this piece of cake complete!
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup skimmed milk
- 4 eggs, whisked with vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnut
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Dark chocolate to drizzle (optional)
- Soak the dates with the baking soda in boiled water for an hour.
- Bring mixture to a boil for a few minutes on the stove.
- Whisk eggs with vanilla and oil then add to date mixture.
- Add flour, cocoa and baking powder alternatively with the milk.
- Roast the walnuts with a tablespoon of flour on the stove then add to batter.
- Pour mixture in a lined baking sheet or mold.
- Bake until cake rises and cooked through.
- Garnish with chocolate, walnuts and dates.
This cake is very light yet flavorful. It makes around 16 pieces. I sometimes pour it in smaller pans for individual (or double) servings.
You may have noticed the lack of sugar. That is because the dates themselves are very sweet. In case your dates aren’t very sweet, feel free to add a tablespoon of sugar to be whisked with the eggs.