Hlel el Loz are scrumptious biscuits that are both delicious and easy to make. Not too sweet, these biscuits are perfect with tea or coffee. The almond gives these biscuits an extra crunch and an added, rich flavor.
- 2 cups almonds with their peel
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 225 grams butter
- 1/2 cup powder sugar
- Egg yolk + a tablespoon milk + a pinch of coffee (This is used to coat the biscuits before entering the oven and is optional)
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
- The almonds must be finally chopped. To do that, place the almonds in a food processor and pulse until you get small grains.
- Add to the almond grains the flour, the butter and the sugar and then mix again until you get a dough. (You may want to mix it with your hands for a better consistency)
- Take small pieces of dough and turn them into the shape of a crescent moon, and place them on a pan, while keeping a small space between them. Alternatively, you can use a pan that has moon shapes (as in the below figure) to maintain the same shape in all of them.
- Cover the moons with the egg yolk/milk/coffee mixture to give it a golden color.
- Bake for around 8-10 minutes until golden and don’t try to move the moons until they are slightly cooler.
- These biscuits will remain fresh if they are stored in an airtight container.
- You can store the dough in the freezer and take it out before hand when you want to bake a batch of these biscuits.
Easy, delicious, and addictive. Only the best combination!