Spiced rice with minced meat is a staple when serving a gathered family or a large group of people. This hearty meal is rich and satisfying, pleasing everyone. Every Lebanese family cooks this dish slightly differently; I personally love using cinnamon, nutmeg, and black pepper.
- 2 cups American rice (+water to soak it)
- 250 gr. minced meat
- 5 cups chicken stock (hot)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4-5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup peeled almonds
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup peeled pistachios (previously soaked in water)
- One whole chicken, medium sized (around 1.5 kgs)
- 2 large onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Soak the rice in water for 20 minutes, then wash and rinse them.
- On a hot pot, add the oil and fry the nuts individually (as each has its own cooking time). Then, remove them and dry them on absorbent paper. The nuts are fried first so that the oil in the pot gets a nice flavor. The nuts will be added on the rice when serving.
- Still on high heat and with the remaining oil in the pan, add the minced meat and stir until the color changes. Then, add the spices.
- Add the rice and keep on stirring for 2 minutes. Then pour the hot chicken stock over the rice and wait till it picks up a boil. When it does so, lower the heat and close the lid.
- After two minutes, transfer the pan to the very minimum heat on the stove and leave for around 20 minutes (It is recommended to open the lid after 15 minutes and stir it).
- Preheat the oven at the highest temperature possible.
- Cover the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- Cut the onions into thin slices and cover the pan. (This will prevent the contact of the chicken directly with the pan).
- Add the chicken on the onions and cover with an aluminum foil. The chicken should stay for around one hour.
- After taking the pan out, remove the aluminum foil, and cover the chicken with the butter. Place it again the oven without the aluminum foil so that the chicken would get a golden color.
A rich meals by all means and perfect for special gatherings. A meal served with love!