One of my favorite recipes! Inspired by a fusion of the traditional Sheikh El Mehshe, with Italian cheese stuffed eggplant rolls, this recipe was a major hit at home. The best part: very simple to prepare. Easy preparation, and a delicious meal; I couldn’t have asked for more! Hope you like it!
Ingredients makes 10 eggplant rolls
2 large and long eggplant
- 500 grams lean meat, ground
- 2 medium onions
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon pine seeds
- 100 grams mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 5 tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt, quantity varies with personal preference
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- chopped parsley
- In a large sauce pan, add oil and fry pine seeds until golden.
- Remove the pine seeds, but keep the oil in the pan.
- Add the meat on top of the oil.
- Once the meat changes color, add the onions.
- Cook until the onions are transparent and the meat well done.
- Season with salt and pepper then remove from heat.
- Peel tomatoes and using a food processor, finely chop it into a smooth blend.
- On a hot stove, add the oil and the onions. Cook until transparent and add the tomato blend.
- Cook until well done but not thick. Add tomato paste, and salt. Put aside.
- Peel eggplant. Cut lengthwise into long strips. Spray both sides with cooking spray, place on a large pan on top of a hot flame until the eggplants are golden.
- In an oven-safe baking dish, spread the tomato sauce.
- Place two eggplant strips to make a long strip. Add one heaped tablespoon of the filling on one end and a tablespoon on mozzarella cheese. Roll the eggplants. Repeat to make the remaining rolls.
- Gently carry the rolls and place on top of the tomato sauce.
- Garnish with a slice of tomato.
- Grill in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until tomato sauce starts to bubble and condense.
- Serve with a side salad or rice.
You can place the mozzarella cheese on top of the rolls instead of inside the rolls for a lasagna-like finish. In this case, no need for the tomato rings on top.