Extremely nutritious, freekeh is one of the healthiest grains. This grain can be easily cooked into a rich and sophisticated dish that is always a showstopper. What’s also amazing about it is that you can add almost anything to this dish, from peas to carrots, based on your preferences. This dish can be made even richer by adding a generous handful of roasted nuts like cashews and topped with lemon flavored chicken. The most important thing to make sure of is having premium quality Freekeh, as it really makes the biggest difference. Freekeh is usually served with rice (optional) and with yogurt mixed with chopped cucumbers.
- 2 cups Freekeh (and water enough to soak them in)
- 4 cups chicken stock (hot temperature)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil + 1 tablespoon butter (butter is optional
- Salt and pepper based on taste
- 1/4 cup cashews (or any preferred nut)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- The zest of one lemon
- Vegetable oil to cover the chicken
- 1 cup Italian or Egyptian rice (+enough water to soak it)
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock (hot temperature)
- Salt and pepper based on preference
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a bowl, place the freekeh and enough water to cover it for around 30 minutes. Remove the water and rinse the freekeh well.
- In a small pot, place the oil and fry the nuts until they get a golden color. Remove the nuts and then add the freekeh.
- Stir the freekeh for 2 minutes and then add the boiling chicken stock. When all the ingredients pick up a boil, close the lid and turn down the heat. This should take around 45 minutes. Season as you prefer.
- Just before the freekeh is completely cooked, add the frozen peas, as you just need them to be cooked while retaining their nice green color.
- Cover the chicken thighs with salt, pepper lemon zest and vegetable oil.
- Place on a pan and cover with an aluminum foil. Leave in a preheated oven for around an hour, or until the thighs attain a nice golden color.
- In a bowl, place the rice and cover it with water for around 20-30 minutes. Then, remove the water and rinse the rice very well.
- In a pot, place the oil and the rice. Stir well for around a minute and then add the hot chicken stock. Leave until it picks up a boil and then reduce the temperature and close the lid.
- The rice will be done in around 20 minutes.
The rice and the freekeh can be served next to each other, or alternatively you can layer them in a bowl as I did in the picture above. Although it may seem like this dish requires many steps, it sure is easy to assemble everything together. And this dish is definitely worth it!