My family likes having something sweet with our afternoon cup of coffee or tea. So I always try making cakes because they are both tasty and quick! I wanted to try something new for a change, and I came across the recipe of Lavender Cake in the Abundance book, a cookbook made by the Worldwide Alumni Association of the American University of Beirut (WAAAUB). The result was a success! Everyone loved this aromatic, rich dessert. Below is the altered recipe.
- 100 grams softened butter
- 150 grams sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lavender, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon water (just enough to make a paste)
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
- Using a mixer, blend the butter and sugar until you get a creamy mixture. Add the eggs with the vanilla one at a time and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, lavender and milk and mix well.
- Pour the mixture in a cake mold that is already buttered and floured (to remove the cake easily after baking).
- The cake should take around 30-40 minutes in the oven. In the meantime, make the icing by mixing the sugar and the water in a small bowl.
- When the cake is done, transfer into a wire rack to cool completely before adding the icing.
Finish decorating the cake with a few lavender florets, and you’ll end up with a sophisticated cake that will please all!