Not your typical fig jam, this Vanilla Orange Fig version surely satisfies everyone: from the young to the old, from the traditional to the experimental. It got everyone’s approval here! Those ingredients worked beautifully together creating a subtle twist to the all-time favorite!
- 1 kg fresh whole figs, unpeeled, cut into eight wedges
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthways
- 3 cups white sugar
- Combine figs, juices and vanilla bean in large saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until figs is soft.
- Add sugar to pan; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil, uncovered, without stirring, about 30 minutes or until jam jells when tested. Remove vanilla bean.
- Pour hot jam into hot sterilized jars; seal immediately.
You can use any variety of fresh fig for this recipe. You can remove the vanilla for a more traditional flavor.
prep + cook time 1 hour | makes 3 cups | calories 84 cals/tablespoon
Recipe from Women’s Weekly, adapted and tested by me! Approved by my family! ❤