For the Filling:
- 1 kg swiss chard, chopped and boiled
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup sour pomegranate
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 1 teaspoon powdered citric acid
- salt to taste
For the Pumpkin Shell:
- 1/2 kilo pumpkin
- 1/2 kilo fine grain bulgur, unwashed
- 1 small grated onion
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli pepper
- 1/2 cup flour if necessary
- oil for frying
To make the kibbeh:
- Peel pumpkin, remove seeds, dice and boil in water until cooked.
- Drain the cooked pumpkin and set aside to cool.
- Clean bulgur and drain.
- Combine all the other ingredients (except the flour) with the pumpkin puree and bulgur in a food processor until you get a sticky dough. Add the flour if needed.
- Keep aside covered with a wet towel.
To make the stuﬃng:
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and sauté the onion until soft. Add the swiss chard, sumac, citric acid, and sauté for two minutes. Turn oﬀ the heat, add the salt, walnuts and pomegranate, then set aside.
- Mix kibbeh dough before starting. Moisten your hands and form the mixture into small egg-sized balls. With your index ﬁnger, make a hole on one end of the oval ball and spoon one tablespoon of ﬁlling inside. Pinch the end to seal.
- Deep fry until golden.
- Serve hot or warm with a side salad.